Tuesday 16 August 2016

Prayers to the Roman Gods: Pluto

Poor Pluto.  First Disney makes him into a villain, then he loses his planet.  He just gets no respect.  I bet he cries himself to sleep every night, with his gold pajamas and all.




Pluto, king of dark Tartarus,
I beseech you to listen to my pleas.
Oh god richer than any aristocrat,
I ask you to lend an ear to my part.
Dis Pater, father of wealth,
I ask that my land's mineral health
Should be increased by your will.
Orcus, oath-keeper frightful,
I ask for your fury to fall out
Upon those who have false thought.
Oh Pluto, lord of that land named after you,
I thank you for your justice so true
And for your pains I offer to your might,
A gift, dark lord, as black as night.

Pluto, rex Tartari,
Audire rogo.
O patricius opulens,
Audire oro.
Dis Pater, pater dives,
Sub terra mea quaeso
Divitia mineralis apparet.
Orcus, custodiarius dirus,
Ira inaccidere quaeso
Juramentifrangibuli.
Pluto, nominaris Tartarus,
Ob munficientiam gratias ago
Et ob operam do
Donus niger ad te, dominus ater.

No comments:

Post a Comment