Tuesday 16 August 2016

Prayers to the Roman Gods: Bacchus

Honestly, I prefer my Hymn to Bacchus to this.  Much easier to sing when drinking, in my opinion.




Bacchus, lord who frees all desires,
Who follows with equal pain his pleasures,
May my drink tonight be good and fair,
And may the barkeep not serve me water.
May I not desire to be among the dead,
When next morning, the sun raises its head.
May my friends be good friends to me,
So that tonight I reach home in safety.
Bacchus Twice-Born,
King of the drinking horn,
To your gifts, this evening I devote;
In your name, I celebrate.

Bacchus, dominus lubidines liberans,
Delicias cum dolores aequi sequens,
Potum meum nocte hac felix esse patere,
Et pincernam furta liber esse patere.
Ultra res ferre possum nondolem patere
Quom sol super noctis delicias lucebit.
Amicos bonos ad me esse patere,
Proinde dome me advenibo tuto.
Bacchus Bimater,
Rex helluationum,
Pro donibus vobis, vespera devoveo,
In nomina te, celebro.

No comments:

Post a Comment