Sunday 26 July 2015

Prayers to the Roman Gods: Mercury

And another god off the list: Mercury, the original prince of thieves!  I rather like the one reference I made to that - it's something of a poetical way of putting it, but that is fitting, I suppose.




Silver-Tongued Mercury,
Prince of Guile and of the Way,
I beseech you for your blessing.
I ask for an adventurer's luck
To follow me wherever I walk,
And the wealth that a gentleman,
Fortunate in his ways, may gain.
Oh Swift-Footed Mercury,
I thank you greatly for the fortune you send,
As ought a grateful servant.

Mercurius Linguae Argenteae,
Regulus Dolositatis et Viae,
Pro benedictione tuae oro.
Pro fortuna viatoris expeto
in itineribus me sectari,
Et copia patricii,
In opera fortunae, lucrifiam.
O Mercurius Celeripes,
Gratis vobis pro fortuna tuae ago,
Sicut cliens gratus sit.

No comments:

Post a Comment