Tuesday 21 July 2015

Prayers to the Roman Gods: Jupiter

This is a new project I've decided to engage on, in which I'll be writing a short prayer to each of the Di Selecti, as well as the Muses, the Graces, household gods, and one or two particularly famous others; and then I'll be translating that prayer into Latin.  Because lingua Latina perbona est now.

Anyway, I am, of course, beginning with the god Jupiter, which is definitely because he is the King of the Gods, and not because he happened to be selected by random lot, or at least as random as it can be when we're talking about gods.  The odds always do seem to be oddly tilted in their favour, after all.




Oh Jove, of the Gods their King,
Arbiter of Justice and Thunder-Bearing,
I beg of you this boon:
Victor,
I ask for your blessing wherever I go,
your aid against all those who stand as my foe;
Feretrius,
See that as true to my word I be,
So shall justice be done for me;
Stator,
Watch over my every true friend,
And keep strong my homeland;
Oh great Jupiter,
For your favours, I thank you,
And all my days I pledge to honour you.

O Iove, Rex Dei,
Arbiter Iustitiae et Gerulus Fulminis,
Imploro bonum hoc:
Victor,
Benedictionem in conatibus omnibus expeto,
Opera tua contra inimicos quos me obsistent;
Feretrius,
Tamquam iures iuranda tuor cerne,
Sic iustitia pro me faciebit;
Stator,
Amicos firmos conserva,
Et patria mea invalesce;
O Iupiter magnus,
Gratis vobis pro indulgentiis ago,
Et dies omnes mei te honorificare pignoro.

No comments:

Post a Comment