Thursday 6 March 2014

Superans

Another of my three Latin translations, the final speech from Survival!  This one was a bit difficult to do; I had a bit of difficulty translating the very first word, because it wasn’t being used in a sense which had a direct comparison to any Latin words.  Plus, I wasn’t quite sure what to do about Ace’s name; I wound up calling her “Prima”.  I figured it stands to reason that she wouldn’t be calling herself an English nickname, and besides, Assa means “dry-nurse”, which I think you’ll agree doesn’t quite fit Dorothy Gale McShane too well.  But “Prima” means roughly the same as “Ace”; and it was either that or “Optuma”.  Which didn’t quite scan as well.  Anyway, hic est Latinam:



Sunt illic mundi quorum aether ardet, quorum pontus quiescit, et fluvii somnant. Populi nubum natarum, et urbes carminum natorum. Alicunde est periculos, alicunde est injurias, et alicubi thea est frigidariam. Subsequere, Prima, habemus labores esse!

No comments:

Post a Comment