Saturday 11 January 2014

The Deadly Disease, Part 1: The Stage Is Set

This is a collaborative RP I did on Tumblr; I thought it would be interesting to write it up as a full-fledged story.  My collaborators were Septima the Plague and Medical Danica; my Tumblr is here.




The Master had had a long a hard search for his target.  Not that she had been hiding; far from it, she was as much a wanderer as the Doctor, but with less fondness for a single planet.  Still, he had found the Disease Deity, as she was called… Septima the Plague.
She barely glanced at him as he entered the room she was currently working in.  ”Oh you.  I expected… someone less… frail looking.  Ah well.  I suppose you came here because you needed something?  Well, what is it?  Tell me now before I decide you’d be the perfect test subject for the new apocalypse parasite I’ve created.”
The Master smirked.  ”Miss Septima, it would be quite a terrible mistake to test your parasite on me.  I have come to request your aid in my conquest of the universe.  In return for a plague capable of quite literally decimating a population, I shall give you extracts of the Rani’s research to help you with your own work.  I would prefer if the plague didn’t affect my own person, by the way; that would be far too inconvenient for my tastes.”
"Ah, the Master!  I’ve heard of you.  The Rani’s research, you say?  Not bad… hmm… alright.  I suppose I could hold off on infecting you, as yes, that would be a shame.  A plague capable of decimating a population… well, shall I engineer a custom one for you, or would you prefer if I just altered an old one?"
"I believe a custom plague would be best," he replied, "I pride myself on my originality.  Perhaps something with particularly disgusting symptoms?  The more frightening, the easier it will be to take control when the plague has done its work."
"Right, right.  Okay then," Septima went to go grab a vial, "would you like it to be transferred though the air or - oh wait.  How shall you take control after the plague has settled in?  I suppose it shouldn’t be too deadly, and… ah, isn’t there the Doctor to worry about?" she mused, opening her palm and beginning to create the virus.
The Master stroked his chin.  ”I suppose airborne transmission would be the best form to ensure its spread, but I personally prefer a contact disease; it makes it easier to gain control and spreads panic and distrust more easily.
"As for the Doctor, if that multicoloured menace decides to interfere, an old “friend” like him deserves the personal touch.  If you see him, do take care of him until I arrive, my dear Septima."  He chuckled at the thought of his mortal foe’s demise.
"Contact… right."  She nodded, "About the Doctor.. I will try, although it’s very likely he’s teamed up with one of the Deities."  The rust coloured glowing sphere in her hand was rather large now; she emptied it into the vial, which was in her other hand.  "This will have to wait for a bit, so it can settle."  She placed the vial on the table.
The Master thought for a second.  ”If the Doctor has teamed up with one of your compatriots, I don’t doubt that it shall be one as foolish and sentimental as him.  If you find out which one, a well-chosen hostage should keep them at bay.
"I eagerly await the completion of my disease.  Perhaps I’ll spread it on that planet he likes so much; that would be supremely distressing for him."
Septima thought of who, of all the Deities, would want to team up with the Doctor.  “Danica and Vesna.  Those are the only two who could even think about such a thing.  The idiots.”
"Earth, is it?"  She gestured to a seat for the Master to take, "I do believe I’ve heard of it."
He sat.  ”Yes, the Doctor is absolutely obsessed with the planet Earth; a miserable little place in a hidden corner of Mutter’s Spiral, filled with unintelligent apes that have only a few redeeming features.  I’ve found that anything happening to that world will almost certainly draw his attention, the hypocrite.  I don’t suppose you’ve visited the place?”
Septima sighed, “Unfortunately, more times than I dare to say.  Most of it not being of my own decision.  I have gotten back on them, however, Black Death and all those other cute names they make for my darling plagues.  I never have to work too hard on those.  Weak immune systems, those humans.”
Indeed, they do tend to die easily,” the Master observed.  ”But I must say, I was impressed by your work with the Spanish Influenza.  It takes a truly diabolical disease to leave such a mark on a planet, especially during a time of world war.”
She smiled, “Thank you.  I’m rather proud of that one as well.  Ah.  I think it’s ready now, the virus, I mean.”  She picked up the vial, “Now then, here you go.  When shall I receive my payment, sir?”
"Thank you; rest assured this plague shall go to good use.  I shall transmit the Rani’s notes to you as soon as I arrive back at my TARDIS.  Use them in poor health, my dear Septima."  The Master laughed at his own joke as he stood.
"Thank you sir, safe travels, Master."  Septima nodded at him, "If you are ever in need of assistance, do stop by and contact me?"
"I certainly will, my dear Septima.  Perhaps I might even prove amenable to travelling with you, one of these days; it would serve the Doctor right if I had a companion of such superior ability over his own.  Farewell!"  The Master stalked off back to his TARDIS, already plotting the uses of his new toy.

No comments:

Post a Comment