Thursday 21 April 2016

Prayers to the Roman Gods: Ceres

One distinction between how we think of nature and how the Romans thought of it, is that we only have Mother Nature, while the Romans had Terra (or Tellus) and Ceres, who represented different aspects of what we call the natural world.  So as Ceres is more focused towards agriculture - 'developed' nature, if you will - I made her prayer something you might expect a farmer to say.




Ceres, feeder of man,
Goddess of all fruit and grain,
I break my fast, Ceres, with what you've given.
Ceres, I ask that my crops grow well,
That my animals are thriving and bountiful.
Ceres, I ask that my stores be defended,
That your gifts remain whole and untainted.
Ceres, I ask for food for all of mine,
That my home sees no sign of famine.
Oh Ceres, the fields' divine matron,
I give to you what I am given
The bread and meat from my kitchen.

Ceres, altrix hominum,
Dea pomorum granorumque,
Cum bonorum tuorum iento.
Ceres, messum causa auctabunt belle,
Pecudum causa vigebunt et cressabunt quaeso.
Ceres, cellarii causa tuti erunt, bonorum causa
Integrorum purorum manebunt quaeso.
Ceres, familiarum causa nonesuribunt,
Famum causa domum noniciebunt quaeso.
O Ceres, mater divina agrorum,
Ab mensa ad tu do
Panis et esca ad me dabat.

No comments:

Post a Comment